Strength TogetHER - Session 1(Introductory Session)

 



February 3, 2023

Continuing our collaboration from 2021, Lokopakar has joined hands with Zonta Club of Kathmandu to expand Strength TogetHER to Chaitanya Higher Secondary School, a public school in Banepa, Kavre. Previously, Lokopakar had collaborated with ZONTA Club of Kathmandu to conduct virtual sessions of “Strength TogetHER” in Jumla. The sessions were 10 weeks long and the discussed topics ranged from my small happiness to gender stereotypes.


Understanding the need and essence of Strength TogetHER and the power it holds, we are collaborating to conduct physical sessions for the students of grade 11 at Chaitanya Higher Secondary School, Banepa. On 4th February, 2022 we did the introduction session. There are a total of 29 girls in grade 11 joining us for the session. We introduced Lokopakar and our activities, and what to expect during the sessions. Then, gave a detailed introduction on the ZONTA Club of Kathmandu and the activities it supports. 


While introducing ourselves, and Zonta we also asked the students to give their brief introduction including their name, dreams, hobby, and expectation from Lokopakar. 


“I would like to give my inputs and learn from you then pass on the learnings to my friends and family. I want to go to Korea. And, I really want to learn things that I have never learnt before.”


“My expectation from this program is that I want to be confident and be able to talk without fear through this program. I like to sing and I want to visit Korea someday.”


“I want to learn the things that I didn’t know before and share my stories here.”


“I like to travel and want to go to Korea in the future. I want to remove my shyness and develop confidence with the sessions in this program.”


“I want to learn the things that I have never learnt before. And, talk without being nervous.”


“I want to do something in Nepal. I don't like going to foreign countries. I want to learn new things in Strength TogetHER, and get to know about my friends better.”


“I want to learn public speaking, and learn to express myself. My dream is to be a nurse and serve the country.”

 

“My dream is to complete my education in management and work in a national level bank later.” 


“My dream is to complete my high school degree then go abroad. I want to take the responsibility at home, as I don’t have a father. From these sessions, I want to learn and pass on to the things that I learn to my friends and family.”


“I like to talk to friends and watch tik tok videos. I also want to learn new things and pass it on to others.”

 

“I want to join the army, and if not that then I would like to go to Korea. My hobby is to watch movies. And, I want to be like you and be able to freely talk and express myself. I want to go to different places and talk with confidence like team Lokopakar does.”


“I don’t have a hobby. I want to learn from you and move forward.”


“I want to stand in front of people and speak and express myself through these sessions. In the future, I want to go to Japan.”


“I like to go out with friends and talk to them. I also want to go abroad. I am scared of public speaking, so I would like to be able to gradually open up and speak confidently in front of everyone.”


“I want to go abroad and visit as many places as possible.”


At the end of the session, we asked the students a few questions to know about them better and check their overall growth. 15 out of 17 students said that it was their first time speaking standing on the front, 14 said that they were shy to come and speak in the front while only 6 said they were a little confident to come and speak in the front looking at their friends coming up to speak. 11 participants raised their hands agreeing that they found it tough to express themselves and 17 out of 17 shared that they didn’t know all the girls in the class properly. 17 wanted to learn public speaking, and 15 said that to learn new things but were hesitant to take the first steps. And, 17 out of 17 said that they wanted to learn to speak in English and felt drawn back due to not being able to speak proper English. And 16 out of 17 were first generation students. We ended the session by promising each other we won't hesitate to try to speak in front of everyone in the upcoming sessions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strength TogetHER - Session 4 (A Time When Patriarchy Let Me Down)

Strength TogetHER - Session 2 (My Small Happiness)